HISTORY OF the lismoyne
Although The Lismoyne Hotel opened in 1932, the actual building was built in the 1880s as a private residence to Lord Lismoyne. It is situated in Church Road, opposite Lismoyne Close. Built as substantial three-storey Victorian private house in 1880s, sold in 1927 and converted to a hotel in 1932 and since extended. Possibly used as military hospital during WWI. Brick ground floor and rendered finish to upper two floors. Three gables with windows and wood detailing and rendered finish, west end gable similar but with detailing under eaves. Substantial Victorian wood staircase with stained-glass windows on landing, large fireplaces in hallway and adjoining room. Extensive grounds with many mature specimen trees including impressive sequoia.
The building has had various extensions, beginning in the late 1940s and it now exists as a large hotel with conference facilities.
The entrance to the hotel is via a large rhododendron lined driveway and a main feature of the building were several mature trees, thought to have been planted at the same time the original house was built. Many of these were sadly lost the storm of 1987. The hotel has a large Redwood Sequoia tree native to California outside which is approximately 300 years old.